Thursday 1 August 2013




Question of the day!
 
What historical research went into No Matter When?






The nerd in me loves this question.  One, because I REALLY enjoy doing research and two because I love history. I love reading about it, hearing about it and watching it.  Sooo… here’s where I give my warning.

Nerd Alert!
'This blog may contain content only suitable for nerds and/or history fanatics.  Although, Nancy Adams is a self-confessed nerd and lover of history, she is not responsible for the sudden urge to apply tape to unbroken reading glasses or the need to hike your pants up into unknown depths.’   

All joking aside, I researched quite a lot, probably more than necessary.  I surfed the net for hours, some time days at a time.  I would visit my local library and spend time looking through different books - mostly children books, and no I’m not ashamed to admit I enjoyed reading these picture books, they have a lot of information without all the added babble, but I really didn’t like those little chairs…not comfy.  I also – and this might seem silly-  rented a few movies that were set in medieval England…okay probably not the best source of information, but it was fun.  
 

 
 
As for No Matter When, it’s set in 1503 England, so my research focused mostly on the medieval era and all that it entailed.  I pulled out my file with all my notes and the photocopies and I found information on the different herbs used and what they were used for and which ailments they healed.  Castle defenses and weaponry used to protect the keep.  The food that was prepared and the manner in which it was served.  I even found a website with medieval receipts and some - if read correctly- seem like they might be pretty tasty *cough* the sweet tarts *cough*.  Unfortunately, I can’t bake to save my life so I guess I’ll never know for sure.  There was information on clothing, women, serfs, royalty, buildings, and anything else you can think of.

I also spent quite a bit of time reading about the House of Tudor and all their drama and boy was there was drama.  The world’s first soap opera, Sheesh!
Wait I think I have a new idea for a new talk show…
How to keep your Head!
With host King Henry VIII, Tuesdays @ 9:00 pm.
Okay who I am I kidding, Jonathan Rhys Meyers if King Henry VIII looked like Jonathan Rhys Meyers, he could cut anything he wants off me. lol
 
 
Medieval England wasn’t the only time period I researched.  I don’t want to give away to many juicy details, but I can tell you each character is linked to a certain time, such as the bombing of London, the 1980’s, which I’m embarrassed to say I remember and no I don’t ‘like’ miss the fluorescent clothing or the big hair and I really don’t care where the beef is!  And lastly, present day Toronto.  That part was a breeze, I was born in Toronto, and even though I don’t live there anymore, it was easy to root though and find exactly what I needed for the plot.   
 
 
 
 
         
No Matter When
Available at Amazon.com

 
 
Well that’s it for me, you can now put the tape away and tug your pants back down into place.
Cheers!
Nancy
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment